Reports of robberies at UCC false – Police


Authorities of the University of Cape Coast (UCC) have denied reports of mass robbery on campus last night.

It comes after images of students appearing to run from an attack flooded social media Tuesday morning. Reports suggested the alleged robbers moved through halls and ransacked rooms.

But reacting to the development, the Public Relations Officer of the University Major Retired Kofi Baah Bentum said there has been no incident on campus in recent times.

“Nothing of the sort happened, it was somebody trying to be mischievous. It was a prank call. What happened yesterday was somebody being mischievous. We did our investigations and nothing like that happened. The security patrol team has checked all and nothing happened. No robber was found, no arrest was made and nothing of that matter happened. I can say for a matter of fact that there is no robbery or anything of the sort on campus,” he told Francis Abban on the Morning Starr Tuesday.

Also commenting on the development, the Central Regional Police Command said reports of robberies on the university campus are inaccurate.

“The Central regional police command wants to put on record that we don’t have reports of such nature. Again we have verified from the university authorities and they don’t seem to have any idea of the said incident,” Public Relations Officer of the Central regional Police DSP Irene Oppong said.

Robberies on the rise

The Ashanti Regional head of the Electoral Commission Benjamin Bannor was on Monday reportedly robbed at gunpoint on the Anwiankwanta-Obuasi highway.

Starr News sources say the regional boss of the Electoral Commission was attacked while returning to Kumasi from an official trip to the Western region. The robbers reportedly seized his personal belongings and that of other occupants of the Nissan Patrol vehicle on which they were travelling.

The attack comes in the wake of reports of rising highway robberies in the country.

Last Friday, the Member of Parliament for Mfantseman was killed in a robbery attack while returning from a midnight campaign.

Confirming the news to Starr News, the NPP first vice constituency Chairman Wofa Yaw said they were returning from a campaign tour when armed robbers attacked them. He said the MP was identified by the robbers before shooting him to death

The body has since been deposited at the Saltpond Mortuary.

Source: Starrfm.

Please kindly contact Apexnewsgh.com on Email: apexnewsgh@gmail.com for your credible news publications


Ngamegbulam C. S

Leave a Reply