The Constituency office of the New Patriotic Party in the Bongo District of the Upper East Region has responded to what they described as cruel and callous claims contained in a video in circulation in which the Member of Parliament (MP) for Bongo Constituency, Edward Bawa was captured campaigning in the means of some community people seriously knocking the peoples head against the government following their action with the global Covid-19 pandemic on citizens and school children.
According to the Viral Video in circulation, the MP was captured accusing the government of deliberately closing down schools due to her inability to pay fees meant for the free Senior High School policy and using the Covid-19 as a cover up.
Here are some of his pronouncements.
“EDWARD BAWA: if it is true that coronavirus is where people are always crowded, why is it that, they lifted the ban for people to be going for funerals? If you are comparing school to funeral houses, which one normally contains many people? People responded Funeral…
EDWARD BAWA: why is it that today, people are allowed to gather for a political campaign?
EDWARD BAWA: There must be a reason why they lifted the ban for funerals and not schools” He stressed
The governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the Bongo Constituency appeared disappointed by such pronouncements coming from an MP who should know better.
According to them, it is difficult for one to understand why an MP will look at the faces of his own constituents and lied that this global sickness called corona virus does not exist despite the devastating havoc it has cause on the lives and health of people across the world.
“Many countries have their educational institutions closed down for several months now and some including France and England have recently tried reopening their schools but closed them down again only after a week or two. Economies across the globe are not spared either and many western countries are considering a second lockdown due to the very recent spikes in infection. No country has been spared on the havocs occasioned as a result of this global deadly pandemic. Indeed, Ghana has managed the situation very well to the admiration the World Health Organization and has since been placed third globally after China and Sri Lanka of countries that managed the situation very well as a result of the sterling leadership of His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.”
Below are the full deatails:
PRESS CONFERENCE ORGANISED BY THE NEW PATRIOTIC PARTY, BONGO CONSTITUENCY ON THE HONOURABLE MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT ON HIS CLAIMS OF NON-EXISTENCE OF COVID 19 PANDEMIC ON WEDNESDAY 18TH NOVEMBER, 2020.
Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen of the media. On behalf of the Parliamentary Candidate, the Chairman and the Constituency Executives and indeed the entire membership of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) in Bongo Constituency, I welcome you all to this press conference. We convey our sincerest appreciation to you for honoring our invitation to this press conference though at a very short notice. We the NPP deem it fit and indeed a call to duty to talk to the good people of Bongo through you in furtherance of our civic responsibility to protect the health of all Boosi (indigence and residence of Bongo) in particular and the country as a whole. We believe that, a healthy people will make a stronger nation.
It is based on the above that we are organizing this press conference to respond to a rather cruel and callous claims contain in a video in circulation in which our supposedly Honorable MP, Edward Bawa is heard dishonorably telling a gathering of people that the global Covid-19 pandemic does not exist. He went ahead and accused the government of deliberately closing down schools due to her inability to pay fees meant for the free Senior High School policy and using the Covid-19 as a cover up.
For the avoidance of doubt, we will play the said video to you at the end of the conference which has been widely shared on various social media platforms. Nonetheless, I will try to paraphrase what the MP said in the video. “They say children should not go to school because of Corona Virus which they say thrives on crowded areas. I agree, but if that were the case, why have they allowed funerals to be performed. Funeral grounds and schools, which place is more crowded”. And the people responded, funerals. He continues, ‘’how come they allowed a crowded gathering like ours here whilst schools remain closed. There is a reason to this. As we speak today, didn’t they say no parent should pay for his or her child’s school fees any longer? If children are not allowed to go to school, will we pay their fees? The crowd again responded ‘No’. ‘’that’s the reason we are not paying fees any longer, is it not education that enables me to stand before you and talk? It is not always our prayer that our children will be successful through education to be able to care for us in the future. But what is more painful is the deliberate denial of children’s right to education today. Today our daughters and sisters are sitting with us and those of them who can’t hold themselves properly are becoming pregnant. And we now see children giving birth to children. Do you know why I said children are giving birth to children? The teenage girl, who gave birth, is a child herself. Now a child carrying a child at her back, both are now children moving about. What is even more painful is that they (referring to people in government) are able to bring teachers to teach their wards in their houses while we the poor children are wasting away”.
Ladies and gentlemen of the media, these are words coming from no other person but Hon. Edward Bawa, the MP for Bongo Constituency who is being paid by the taxpayers which he is deceiving. This conduct is not only despicable but reprehensible, to say the least. It’s an insult and a total disregard to the health of the good people of Bongo. It demonstrates yet, how the NDC under Edward Bawa in the Constituency thrives on deceit. This must end and surely it will end this year. We in the NPP have always known the man Edward Bawa as a rogue and very insensitive when it comes to the social wellbeing of the good people of Bongo. However, we least expected him to show this level of cruelty and callousness to the extent that, he shamelessly puts the health and the lives of the very people he is representing in parliament at risk.
It is difficult for one to understand why an MP will look at the faces of his own constituents and lied that this global sickness called corona virus does not exist despite the devastating havoc it has cause on the lives and health of people across the world. Many countries have their educational institutions closed down for several months now and some including France and England have recently tried reopening their schools but closed them down again only after a week or two. Economies across the globe are not spared either and many western countries are considering a second lockdown due to the very recent spikes in infection. No country has been spared on the havocs occasioned as a result of this global deadly pandemic. Indeed Ghana has managed the situation very well to the admiration the World Health Organization and has since been placed third globally after China and Sri Lanka of countries that managed the situation very well as a result of the sterling leadership of His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
In spite of above undeniable records, it makes one wonder why an MP worth it sort will stand on campaign grounds before his own constituents who he is supposed to be protecting, and says that this deadly sickness does not exist. The NPP though appalled by this dishonorable conduct of our honorable MP, we are however not surprise. There can only be three reasons why the MP will engage himself in this kind of shameful and reckless act.
- The absence of credible massage. It is increasingly becoming clearer that Edward Bawa, the honorable MP of Bongo has no massage for the good people Bongo and has found himself into a serious credibility crisis. Desperation has now taken over his mind. He has lost it completely and instinctively; he is aware of his eminent rejection by the good people of Bongo. His initial self-inept rescuing mission of throwing unsubstantiated accusations at the Hardworking honorable Lagumbota Ayinbisa Peter, the DCE and Parliamentary Candidate, and God’s willing the next MP did not work for him. The man Edward Bawa has lost so much credibility such that he has to run to his Presidential Candidate to beg some of the prominent people he disregarded earlier on to come and attempt rescuing him from losing the seat. Obviously, he has become so bad, in other words, damage beyond repairs such that no rescue team, no matter how credible or otherwise can salvage the situation. The only option left for him now is to engage in lies and unfortunately, he has decided to go in the direction of toiling with the health and education of the good people of our dear District. Fortunately, the people of Bongo are not bereft of issues regarding their health and the education of their children.
- He is being intimidated by the excellent performance of the Hon. DCE/PC Lagumbota Ayinbisa Peter. Hon..Lagumbota Ayinbisa Peter sterling performance has resulted in an unprecedented development in all spheres of the people’s lives and more especially in the area of Health, Water and Sanitation, Education, Agriculture and Jobs. Whilst Lagumbota Ayinbisa Peter can boast of providing potable water for the people through the construction of 100 boreholes, 12 mechanized (electricity and solar powered) small water systems in last four years, Edward Bawa can only point at 10 boreholes allocated to his name as MP for Bongo from GNPC. Again 5 schools, 7 health facilities, several kilometres of roads, bridges including the Bongo-Balungo one, a ware house as well as hundreds of jobs for the youth certainly intimidates him. However, the people of Bongo will all the time prefer development to the MP’s frustration arising out of his own ineptitude or incompetence or both.
- Mass defection from his party to the NPP primarily arising from his abysmal performance. He has exhibited not only bad leadership but vindictiveness as well since becoming the MP. He sees himself as King Nabukednezer who determines who becomes his party member or assumes a leadership role. This arrogant posturing has polarized the NDC in the constituency and instead of humbling himself and removing that kingship arrogance and pride to restore hope in his party; he has rather resorted to intimidation and heaping insults on people who can no longer stay in a polarized party of this nature. The directive from his Communication Director, asking members of his party to stay away from social events organized by his constituents who may require the services of some of the recent defectors demonstrates his intolerance and vindictiveness. The good people of Bongo has long cherished and held in esteem social cohesion without partisan considerations. We attend each other’s programs such as naming ceremonies, graduation events, festivities and funerals without discrimination especially on political lenses. That has been the source of our strength and togetherness as a people. Parochial partisan interest from Edward Bawa is now seeking to erode this beautiful social bond among us. He has done it to his party. He is now shamelessly extending it to our social fiber. Imagine what would become of us as a people if the NPP were to also call on her teaming supporters to boycott events organized by persons perceived to be sympathizers or supporters of the NDC. The NPP will not go this divisive way. We are so responsible and will never engage in acts that have the potential of destroying our social fiber. We consequently urge all well-meaning indigents of Bongo to ignore the divisive call from the NDC. The peace and harmonious coexistence of us as a people is worth a hundred times more than the parliamentary ambition of an individual.
The NPP would like to state that:
- Covid-19 is real and perhaps may stay much longer until a vaccine is found against it. Thus, the need for continuous observance of the various health protocols instituted by the Ghana Health Service. The sickness exists and hence the need for all of as Boosi to reject the MP’s claims of otherwise. If his claims were true, how come he recently distributed Veronica Buckets and Kalihari bitters to help curb the spread of the virus?
- Though schools partially closed, it is in the best interest of the Ghanaian child. His Excellency the President of the Republic of Ghana has the Ghanaian child at heart and thus will not manage these trial moments in such a way that will jeopardize the health of these future leaders of Ghana. This is more. Ladies and gentlemen, you all do recall the NDC has a party of which Hon. Edward Bawa is a member was against the partial reopening of schools to allow final year students to write their final exams. They were equally against the coming back to the school of second-year students of both SHS and JHS. So, let us ask ourselves what has now changed for an MP from the same stock to be condemning partial closer of schools. This is clearly an exhibition of politics of convenience and inconsistency.
- In conclusion, we fervently call on the Speaker of Parliament and all relevant state intuitions to call this MP to order.
- May God continue to protect us all in this trial times.
Thank you all for coming.
Constituency Secretary Anaane Johnson Ayikene
Apexnewsgh.com/Ghana/Ngamegbulam Chidozie Stephen
Please contact Apexnewsgh.com on email email@example.com for your credible news publications