The regional body of the Ghana Journalist Association (GJA) has launched the second edition of awards to reward journalists in the Upper East Region.
In a speech read by the Upper East Regional Chairman of the GJA William Nlanjerbor Jalulah, he noted that they were elected into office in June 2022 and can confidently say that their one year in office has yielded good results.
“We have collaborated with a number of organizations to build capacities of our members in the different areas with the most recent one taking place last week, which brought selected journalists from the Upper East, Upper West, North East, Savannah, and Northern regions to Bolgatanga for a three-day training programme on conflict reporting and fact-checking”.
The Regional Chairman insisted, that as executives, they will strive to pay so much attention to members in ways that will make them contribute satisfactorily to the development of the Upper East region.
The Launching of the Second Upper East Regional GJA Awards came with the following categories: Journalist of the Year, Agric Reporting, Child Protection, Human Rights, Water and Sanitation, Conflict Reporting, Environment, Health, Gender, Disability, Sports, Best Radio Station, Tourism and Culture, Best Radio Programme and a number of honorary awards.
Meanwhile, representing the Upper East Regional Minister at the lunch, the Bolgatanga Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) Mr. Rex Asanga lauded journalists for their wonderful contribution to the regional peacebuilding. He admonished Journalists to avoid reportage that has the tendency of inflaming passion.
“The least any journalist who loves his country, who loves his people will do is be measured in any reportage which could go to inflame passions”
Immediately after the launch, Mr. Asanga on behalf of the Regional Minister inaugurated a 3-member Awards Vetting Committee comprising Senior Journalist and Journalism Lecturer at the Bolgatanga Technical University, Mr. Samuel Akapule, Regional Director of the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice, Lawyer Abdulai Jaladeen and Founder of Millar Open University, Prof. David Millar.
Addressing Journalists and other invited sponsors at the launch of the second edition awards the two members of the vetting committee who were present Lawyer Abdulai Jaladeen and Mr. Samuel Akapule assured, that they will execute their mandate without any form of compromise.
Meanwhile, the GJA doors are open for sponsorship.
Entrants must meet the following additional requirements:
1. Entrants may submit entries for a maximum of TWO CATEGORIES, and NOT MORE THAN THREE. Published works should be submitted for each category.
2. However, one work SHALL NOT be entered in MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY.
3. Entrants should submit CLEAR, ORIGINAL published works and FOUR (4) photocopies of each entry.
4. All entries must show the date of publication/broadcast and the medium in which the work was published. News Agency stories carried by the conventional media or on the Internet shall be considered as published.
5. Radio and TV entrants should submit ONE AUDIO RECORDING (STORAGE DEVICE) in addition to FOUR (4) AUTHENTICATED COPIES of the original broadcast script.
6. Every entry should clearly indicate the category of competition and must bear the name, address, and telephone number (s) of the applicant.
7. Entries/Nominations should be titled UE GJA MEDIA AWARDS 2023.
8. The deadline for the submission of entries is on Tuesday, August 29, 2023, at 5:00 pm.
Entries/Nominations should be addressed to:
The 2nd GJA Awards Vetting Committee
Upper East Region.
NB: The GJA is NOT bound to give an award in a category if it does not merit one.
According to the GJA Regional Chairman William Jalulah, he has no doubt that the Awards Vetting Committee will do a good job.
“Let me assure my colleagues who will be competing in the awards that we will have very good packages for winners. So, if you wish to compete, please ensure you take your time to read the requirements for entry carefully and also make sure you submit very competitive works that can compete favorably”. He cautioned
The award is scheduled for Friday, October 6, 2023, with the theme: Safeguarding the Peace and Security of The Upper East Region: The Role of The Media as our theme.
Chairman at the launching ceremony Mr. Robert Ajene and a host of other personalities including sponsors such as Afrid kids Ghana, Youth Harvest Foundation, Great Victory Academy School, representative of Mathew Silas Amoah Foundation, Earl International graced the launching ceremony
For publication please kindly contact us on 0256336062 or Email: email@example.com